Thursday, September 07, 2006

I love Kansas. The full measure of this hit me today in my western civ class. We were talking about governments falling apart and a student made reference to our nation's Civil War. He finished his statement by saying that "thankfully, it all worked out okay and the union was preserved." It took a moment to sink in and then I just went nuts on this kid. The rebel-flag wearing, gun-toating redneck who believes the South will rise again is a minority in Virginia, but I've never had a student there (or in Tx) say "thankfully" the union was saved. Most of what I get is a genuine, "yup, it's too bad we lost". Not that any of them want slavery to come back, but I guess when the war was fought in your backyard, when parts of your town were burned down by Union troops, you feel a bit passionate about the cause. Hard to blame them. I just find it hard to swallow. I don't know if this makes sense to any of you, but my heart leaped for joy today. Yes, I am a nerd...

No comments: