Friday, November 30, 2007

I was just thinking that there are few things in this world more wonderful than waking up (well-rested) to a happy baby who's smiling at his mommy. Lawson is so cute first thing in the morning - he usually smiles, coos, and squeals at me for at least an hour after he gets his breakfast. In those moments, my life is perfect.


Maybe I should follow up that sappy sentimental statement with the harsh reality that was my life last night. I swear it was like the freakin' Keystone Cops around here.... Mind you, ALL of this happened at the same time:

1. Dinner was ready. After weeks of living on frozen and packaged foods that are quick to make, I made a nice, real dinner. Italian Mac&Cheese from Rachel Ray with a nice fresh salad. I really went all-out on this meal...

2. We stupidly took the cone collar off Shadow, thinking he'd be okay. He immediately started chasing the tail and we couldn't corner him to get the collar back on. Guess we need to get the rest of it amputated. Awesome....

3. Lawson totally melted down. I still think it was a delayed reaction to the shots, but who knows? He screamed (and I mean, screamed!!!) for an hour. He normally gets a little fussy in the evenings, but it's not typical for him to throw a fit like that for that long! Nothing we did seemed to help much. We felt so useless. He then got himself so worked up that even though he was tired, he couldn't fall asleep.

The whole thing was almost comical. Lawson eventually went to sleep, the cat calmed down (and is sporting his collar again), and we managed to eat our cold meal just before 9pm. So, maybe that's why I was particularly enchanted by my smiling, happy baby this morning.... He's always like that first thing, but after last night it was a welcome relief!

No comments: