Monday, January 22, 2007

What a nice weekend we had. Saturday, we went with Sean and Tracie to lunch at an Irish pub and then to see The Last King of Scotland. What an amazing movie. Not the least bit uplifting... seriously, a very heavy film....but the story was compelling and Forest Whittaker WAS Idi Amin. Wow. When we left the theater, it was just starting the snow storm that lasted for another 12 hours. By Sunday morning we had at least 4 inches. The roads are clear now, but there's still plenty of snow all over the place.

Sunday afternoon we braved the snowy roads to go downtown to catch the Kansas City Symphony perform (the tickets were my b-day present). They were also very good. The did Beethoven's 5th, which was the big draw, and was lovely. The surprise hit of the performance was a violin concerto by Jean Sibelius, a Finnish composer. They had this Hungarian soloist come in for this piece and blew us all away. He was amazing. The place went absolutely bonkers (well, as wild and nuts as you can get at a symphony concert!) and he came out for an encore which was met with even wilder applause. Very fun. Then, weird thing. Every time I go to a concert like this I think back to my band days and yesterday I was thinking about my old band director and wondering how he was doing. When we got home, there was a message on the machine from my parents, who are in New York for the week, saying they'd just run into him there! So eerie!

I'm spending the bulk of today doing boring things like paying bills and doing laundry. Tomorrow is the first day I do real stuff with my classes, so I'm trying to get ready.

No comments: