Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I'm so sad.... Our kitties at first seemed to be adjusting to Lawson's arrival okay. Obviously they were distressed, but it didn't seem major. Until Shadow started biting the end of his tail.... We assumed he had a bug bite he was scratching, but as the days went on and it didn't get any better, we had to take him to the vet. Brad took him in last week and the vet said he developed a form of OCD in response to the baby - licking his tail until it was raw. Yep, bloody and raw at the end. We had small drops of blood on the walls and carpet. We tried antibiotics and that didn't work, so yesterday morning Shadow had about 4 inches of his tail amputated. Waaaa.... It was so sad...

Brad dropped him off at the house and then left for his night class. Shadow ran and hid under the bed and stayed for a few hours and I left him alone since I was busy entertaining Lawson. But by about 9pm I heard him running around the house like he had been doing when he bit his tail. Once I got Lawson rocked to sleep I went to check on him and yep, he chewed out his stitches and was bleeding all over the house. I found him curled up in Lawson's closet in the basket full of baby blankets! So, I have two beautiful blankets covered in pools of cat blood! The house looks like a crime scene. I wound up having to take him to the all night vet (45 minutes away!!!)! Brad met me after work and the vet restitched Shadow's tail (another $200 - awesome....) and this time gave us one of those cone shaped collars. Oh, and Lawson woke up just as we left and screamed the entire 45 minutes home. Awesome. It was after 2am before the three of us got to bed.

Shadow isn't adjusting well to the collar, but I think it will keep him from eating his tail. He keeps running into walls and furniture, and he can't crawl into his usual tight spaces. I find it heartbreaking and hilarious at the same time. I also think he looks like Little Bo Peep in his collar and bow.

No comments: